It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Windows 7 
Site Admin

Post Windows 7
Anyone else installed it?

Just thought I'd highly recommend Win7 to you all. The RC is out which is free and open to the public to download to try. It expires June 2010.

In case you've been living under a rock - Win7 is what Vista should have been 3 years ago - but it's superb. It runs on netbooks, is fast, mostly bug free already and the UI improvements are sensational if you're still on XP.

Any system with 1GB RAM will run it easily, compared to Vista which needed 3GB+.

You can get it from microsoft.com

Mon May 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Post Re: Windows 7
I'm reformatting both our desktops this weekend so I'll chuck Win7 on them and see how we go. I really like the layout and the user interface that Vista brought, compared to xp, but I didn't like how slow it was or the incompatibility problems I had for months. Hopefully Win7 is a bit smoother.

Half a bee, philisophically, must ipso facto half not be. But half a bee has got to be Vis a vis it's entity. But can a bee be said to be or not to be an entire bee, when half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury.

Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 pm
Site Admin

Ultramarine wrote:
I'm reformatting both our desktops this weekend so I'll chuck Win7 on them and see how we go. I really like the layout and the user interface that Vista brought, compared to xp, but I didn't like how slow it was or the incompatibility problems I had for months. Hopefully Win7 is a bit smoother.

Oh it's smooth. You click stuff and it fucken opens on the spot like it should. The UI and themes are just sexy and I havent needed any drivers yet except for nvidia....which brings me to..... another note....my faulty RAM which I tested tonight!

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3592/errorsy.jpg

It was causing games to hang grrrr. And I thought it was a driver or video card issue! One of my 2gb sticks is fucked. Since taking it out, games are fine.

Argh. Only took me 4 months to diagnose it was the RAM.

Mon May 11, 2009 10:51 pm

What test did you run? I've been having similar problems for months. My PC just randomly seems to freeze and I havn't been able to pinpoint what is doing it. Sometimes it will crash during a game, sometimes just idling. Sometimes it will crash every few hours, sometimes not for weeks.

Half a bee, philisophically, must ipso facto half not be. But half a bee has got to be Vis a vis it's entity. But can a bee be said to be or not to be an entire bee, when half the bee is not a bee, due to some ancient injury.

Tue May 12, 2009 12:43 am
Site Admin

Goldmem

http://www.goldmemory.cz/download.php

Burn it to a CD as an image then boot it and let it run.... takes an hour or so.

Also try memtest86 and if you have Vista try the windows memory diagnostic tool.

Tue May 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I just installed it on my laptop, and it's surprisingly stable (so far).

I'm amazed by the fact that is working so smoothly, since I'm sure it'd be impossible to run Vista on it. Setup:

Centrino Duo - 1.67 Ghz
DDR1 - 1 Gb
Intel 945 Standard (Yes, a sucky 64 Mb shared).
20 Gb HDD. (Partition)

Of course it's a fresh install thus it's hard to say how well it'll do on the long run, but so far it's only taking up to 600 Mb ram with a couple programs opened (no games, need to install'em, but still).

The moment you install it you notice it's MUCH better than Vista :P. Indeed looks like the new "good" windows, but we'll see.

Fri May 15, 2009 2:54 am

I downloaded the iso file but I can't get it to burn to a dvd.

How did you install it? Fresh install or did you upgrade from vista? If you burnt the iso to a disc what program did you use?

Why I try and copy the iso to a dvd using nero9 it just spits the dvd out and doesnt copy.

Sat May 16, 2009 10:54 pm

either my dvd drive doesnt like the blank dvd's i have or the drive is dying. Nicci's laptop is copying it fine.

Sun May 17, 2009 11:24 am
Site Admin

http://www.imgburn.com/

Sun May 17, 2009 12:09 pm

yeah thats what i used. Its installed on niccis computer now and its pretty smooth. I'm impressed.

Sun May 17, 2009 3:06 pm